Hi! In this little jar is Scoby Sal. In the short time I've owned her I've become oddly attached! She's a scoby, a culture used to grow kombucha - a fermented tea full of probiotics. It is meant to be great for gut health and costs next to nothing to make at home! Sal was given to me in a small amount of starter tea which is necessary to start the ball rolling. Each time I brew a tea, an additional scoby will form (so I'm told). You can give the extras away or roll them into the next batch.
I have some memories of kombucha tea from when I was a child. I remember dad used to grow this mushroom looking thing in some water and he'd drink the water and the mushroom would grow. He brewed his in a big glass bowl and his 'mushroom' (scoby) grew really big!
There's a lot of information on the internet on how to make kombucha tea at home. I like this video myself, it's clear and simple. I also found that recipes vary a bit. For example some say to use white sugar and others say use brown. They often recommend organic but I'm a student so I'm hoping regular stuff is sufficient! This is what I did for my first attempt and we'll wait to see how it turns out!
In a clean jar (mine holds just over 1 litre), I added 1/2 cup of sugar and boiling water. To help dissolve the sugar I used a wooden spoon. If you are freaking out about the sugar, don't worry, the scoby eats the sugar up!
Next I chucked four normal black teabags in and left them for around 30 minutes. Then it's waiting time. Scoby's don't like hot baths so it's important to let the tea/sugar mixture cool to room temperature. Finally I could pour Scoby Sal into the mixture where she will 'do her thang' for the next week or so. A piece of cloth and a rubber band stops any critters getting in.
In a clean jar (mine holds just over 1 litre), I added 1/2 cup of sugar and boiling water. To help dissolve the sugar I used a wooden spoon. If you are freaking out about the sugar, don't worry, the scoby eats the sugar up!
Next I chucked four normal black teabags in and left them for around 30 minutes. Then it's waiting time. Scoby's don't like hot baths so it's important to let the tea/sugar mixture cool to room temperature. Finally I could pour Scoby Sal into the mixture where she will 'do her thang' for the next week or so. A piece of cloth and a rubber band stops any critters getting in.
![]() |
| Sal in her new home |
And that's it for now! She'll just idle away in the background until the fermentation process is complete. Stay tuned to see if Sal and I have success... :)


No comments:
Post a Comment